The Crepe Myrtle, one of the most popular decorative tress around the globe, makes a beautiful yet a low maintenance addition to any garden area. With easy care, these trees are a favorite choice among many gardeners.
Caring Crape Myrtle Trees
Crepe Myrtle trees are easy to grow and the major benefit of growing these trees is that they are easy to take care of and maintain. Being a very popular decorative tree choice especially in the US, below is a detailed guide of taking care of these decorative trees.
- The first essential thing to be considered is that the Crepe Myrtle should be planted in a well drained soil which should also be fertile in nature. Use of a good quality fertilizer is recommended as it helps the growing process of flowers and the tree itself.
- Crepe Myrtle trees have a shrubby nature and hence they develop buds and suckers on the newly growing branches, which can cause misshaping of the tree. One has to be careful to remove theses from the branches as they appear as to maintain the correct stature of the tree.
- Aphids, better known as plant lice, can attack the crepe myrtle tree and hence aphids should be dealt with using a weak soap solution. Although aphids don’t pose a serious threat to the tree, but they leave a sticky liquid on the tree which can cause fungus and that can damage the tree itself.
- During initial plantation of the tree, it should be watered thoroughly and deeply to establish firm roots. After the tree has grown quite a bit, it can survive in arid condition and hence too much regular watering is not required.
- Pruning the Crepe Myrtle tree is a very must do essential step. During the fall, when the tree looses all it leaves, it should be tied up i.e. pruned to ensure that when the leaves and flowers grow back, the tree maintains its proper shape.
Crepe Myrtle trees are indeed a very beautiful and attractive addition to any garden. They are easy to plant and also very easy to maintain which makes them the most popular choice amongst many gardeners. Taking care of Crepe Myrtle Trees is very essential as this ensure the proper growth and beauty of the tree.